Thursday 16 June 2011

Choosing to Die......a few thoughts on the subject

Am beginning to feel gulty as I seem to be spending so much time writing blogs instead of working!!
But in my defence there does seem to be a lot to cogitate on and think about at the moment. Everywhere I turn there are happennings, news, ideas and events that give me pause for thought and sometimes re-evaluate where what who and how!
Last night Sid and I watched the Terry Pratchett documentary about assisted suicide, and the subsequent debate afterwards, and it certainly brought up a lots of discussion between us, both last night and again this morning.  I can understand how some people would want to kill themselves, especially if they are terminally ill or likely to become very disabled by their illness, but I can also see how the whole system could oh so easily be open to misuse. The ethical or moral stance of the clinic in Switzerland seemed to come from the best intentions, but every scenario or situation will be dictated by those taking part and that cocktail, fuelled by many conflicting emotions could decend into a very undignified or traumatic event, unless very carefully planned, and as long as everyone plays their part as agreed. The gentleman who we had the priviledge to watch dying was incredibly dignified and calm about it, and I didn't feel that he was pushed or co-erced into it, but I did feel very sad that he couldn't have died in much nicer and better circumstances. I would personally much prefer to make it special and as beautiful and meaningful as possible, and he would have had that choice if he could have done it at home. So, although I do support a person's right to die, and would like to see the law in this country changed, I would be very cautious about the letter of that law. It would need to be very transparent and every possible avenue explored so that everyone was protected from subsequent problems,...and the potential for abuse of the system was ruled out.
It also brought up some spiritual issues and questions for me, too. I believe that our soul has a purpose for us-  a kind of rough sketch of our lives, a map of our potential and fullfillment of that life purpose. So how does that fit in with the decision to take your own life prematurely? An interesting example is Dr Hayashi, one of the earliest Reiki masters. He was Japanese and lived up until the start of the second World War. When he found that he was due to be conscripted into the forces to fight in the war, he decided that as he didn't want to be responsible for killing any one, he would die himself. A terrible moral issue, but as he saw it the only soultion. He was apparently a very advanced spiritual being and was conciously in touch with his soul, so he decided on the time and place of his death. He gathered his family and friends around him, sat down, and simply died at the allotted time.  So, if his soul had a purpose mapped out for him, how did that fit with his decision to die (probably) earlier than planned? I suppose the same question would apply if someone died in a car crash or drank themselves to death. Does the soul have to follow the bidding of the ego or personality? So if you decide to take your own life does the soul throw up it's hands saying 'OK it's your life...but we'll just have the change things around a bit to accomodate this new path!' This also brings me back to the guy who died at his own hand in the documentary...could staying alive and  suffering from the gradual degeneration of his health and body have also had value for him and his family? I have heard of people who were control freaks, and then suffered from something very debilitating like a stroke, having to let go of everything , and allow others to help them. That in turn could be a huge learning curve for everyone concerned. My sister said that she thought our Mum, who died of demetia and old age (and wasn't distressed or in pain) was very kind to us in a way, as she died very gradually and slowly over a number of years, allowing us the come to terms with her death. So much so that I felt completely at peace with her passing.  My father died quite suddenly from a stroke, which was a huge shock and very painful, and very distressing for my Mum at the time.
I guess everyone will have an opinion on this, but I think the bottom line is that everyone should have control over their own lives and destiny....that's all any of us want anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment