Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of Work......

Surprised to find how long it's been since my last blog! I've thought about doing it a number of times, but I've either been too busy or too fed up. Strange how things do seem to swing from one extreme to another...or is that just my bi-polar emotional state...or even my lack of control over my moods?! I know I can be a bit of a drama queen, but things have got quite bad recently. It's all about the money- again!
Although I'm valliantly trying to find gigs and jobs, and trying to find creative ways to earn a living, I'm still just not earning enough to keep body and soul together! Thank goodness Sid is earning a regular wage, or we would be in serious trouble. I'm trying to remain optimistic in the face of adversity and hope that some of my many ideas will come to fruition- no one can say I'm not trying hard! So....I have managed to get a jewellery workshop arranged with a local needlecraft shop, and a taster session for a women's group, a couple of stalls at craft fairs and an indulgence day, as well as stalls at 5 haflas between now and Xmas. That might seem like a lot, but the haflas and craft events are always a risk- like the other day when we took the stall to Witney, I only made enough to pay for the stall fee. I've also been given a sweet little digital camera by a wonderful, lovely friend, so I have now opened an online shop at Folksy to sell my jewellery. Am quite excited about this, despite the fact that I haven't sold anything yet...but give it time. Once I have advertised it at a few haflas and by email, everything will be flying off the shelves! And, I can add onto the site anything I have made, so it has the potential for selling photographs, cards, fascinators, or even costumes.
I've also drafted an introductory letter and made a promotional flier to send to local restaurants and hotels to advertise myself as a solo performer. I know I'm not a sylph-like youngster any more (not that I ever was, really!), but I'm hoping that I look good enough in the pics to attract some interest. I do have lots of experience and chutzpah, too! And when I say interest, I mean professionally- and to earn some dosh! It might be a bit late for some Xmas events, but it might also be something people might consider for January when they want to pep up trade.
I've also been given the opportunity to do a talk-cum-workshop exploring my dance-as-healing interest- well, I confess it's going to be the next Alternative Show Talk! I have to say that I hadn't considered doing one at all, but Peter somehow talked me into it! But heigh-ho, if I ask the Universe for opportunities, I gotta seize them when they come along!
So, despite the difficulties there are lots of things happenning, which helps to stop me plunging into despair. If I feel as if I am beavering away purposefully then that's much better than slumping into a depressed heap. Being self employed is all about being self motivated, and although I get energised by even modest successes, I easily de-motivated when everything goes quiet.
Anyway, with enough irons in the fire, some things will work out- preferably the best paid ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment