Thursday 26 January 2012

Happy Busyness!

I have had lots of occasions in the last couple of weeks where I wanted to write a blog, but just haven't had the time! That's a good thing, because it's about having lots of work going on, but the creative side of me also needs a little outing, too! It felt as if just before Christmas there was a big bung stopping everything up, but now someones pulled the plug - and it's all gushing out really fast!!
Things have changed a bit since my last blog- mostly good, I might add. Just before Xmas in a state of panic and desperation I applied for a care job, and got an interview last week. By the time the interview came around I was feeling rather ambivalent about it, so maybe that affected my performance, but needless to say, I didn't get the job. My caring skills are a bit out of date, as I haven't done anything really for over ten years, and the policies and ways of doing things are being constantly updated, plus it's not my main career, so no doubt someone with better skills and more drive got it. In a way I'm relieved, as at the moment it would have been a bit of a stretch to fit in around everything else, but I'm confident that the universe will find me the perfect job. In fact, talking of perfect jobs, The Creaky Cauldron have asked me to make a Dumbledore 'style' wizard costume, and there are plans to make costumes for the staff too, which could fit neatly around my other work- maybe this is the perfect job already and I didn't realise it!
My classes are going well- numbers are still down with the 'old' classes, but I've still got the Warwick Uni classes, as well as a new beginners class at the college. I haven't had enough beginners there for over a year until now, so something has definitely shifted. And the Uni classes are a bit of a moveable feast as the first week we had 12 and last week we had about 30! I think that this will continue to be the case as the students obviously have more important things to do like attending lectures and doing essays, so I won't necessarily get the same students from week to week.But I'm very grateful for it, whatever is the case and it's an opportunity to learn more about teaching.
Things are also developing with the radio show....we have now got permission to use the new premises, but we need to raise funds to do remedial work and decorate. We also have a lively young man called Neil who is going to do his own show starting next week! His show will just follow on after ours, and will be about the arts. Peter and I are really excited about this as we would like to see The Alternative Show grow into a full blown radio station in the future, and this is an important step towards that. We've also successfully done our first Skype interview, and using Skype means that we can now interview and talk to people all over the world, which opens up all sorts of exciting possibilities. And we are holding our first MBS show at Lifeways in Sept! This is to raise funds for the show, as well as give Lifeways a big promotion....it's all happenning!
And as if that's not enough, there is the Belly Dance Spectacular coming up soon, and Le Petit Souk to organise for May! But I must admit to doing a lot of praying and making requests before Xmas....and someone was obviously listening- and it's all coming at once- phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment